Celebrate Guru purnima with this yummy yet easy to make Aval paysam
Every year we celebrate guru purnima in a simple way by preparing a sweet and offering it to god. We used to make gulab jamuns or something simple like semiya/vermicelli payasam. This year we decided to make aval payasam. There are so many versions of aval payasam and the recipe i’am sharing here is my mom’s. You can never go wrong with your mother’s recipe and this recipe sure is a keeper.
Dish: Aval/Flattened Rice payasam
- Aval/ Flattened Rice- 1 cup
- Milk- 3 cups
- Jaggery- 3/4 cup
- Condensed Milk- 2 tbsp
- Water-1/2 cup
- Cashew Nuts- 12 to 15
- Green Cardamoms-3
- Ghee-3 tsp
- Boil milk and keep aside.
- Add water to jaggery in an utensil/saucepan and heat on low flame until it melts completely and starts to boil.
- Fry aval/flattened rice on a tawa in ghee until it turns golden brown
- Let it cool down for a while and grind it coarsely in a mixie
- Add boiled milk and powdered aval to a tawa/any vessel .
- Stir slowly on low flame until the aval gets cooked and add green cardamoms and condensed milk
- Filter the melted jaggery, add it to the aval-milk mixture and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish it with cashews fried in ghee and serve hot.
- You can substitute jaggery with sugar
- If you like your payasam more sweet you can increase the jaggery to 1 cup.